Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thoughts

• 7 of the 10 deadliest snake species are native to Liberia.
• I don’t care if you call me a sissy; big spiders in showers freak me out.
• Liberia is a perfect example of globalization. Thanks to the latest economic meltdown the price of petroleum has fallen. Since the price of natural rubber (a huge income source here) is directly tied to petroleum prices, people whom live off less then a dollar a day are suffering. So decisions made in boardrooms on Wall Street affect the rubber farm worker who can’t read or write and has left his family to try to make some money to keep them healthy.
• They eat anything that moves here. This is some roasted dog's head. It wasn't hard to say no.

• Fruit is exponentially more delicious here. Even ordinary fruit like oranges or bananas taste exotic.
• Plantain = my favorite! Fried, deep-fried, roasted, or dried – I don’t care cause it is all so good. (Plantain is like a marriage between a banana and something starchier. That’s a terrible description.)
• Since the Liberian diet rarely contains dairy, people get their calcium by chewing bones.
• Surfing is hard. Really hard. It is also very humbling.

5 comments:

Alpha Davies said...

wow. chewing bones? that is intense!
and i agree big spiders in showers freak me out too. disgusting.

Anonymous said...

Hey Stoph! You're in the middle of a global news story - Liberia's state of emergency - I'd die to be in your shoes right now - what's your take on the thing, you budding reporter?

Katrina Janzen said...

My arch fruit nemesis happens to be none other than...the Dreaded Plantain. Sick sick sick. I suggest you try lichies and your preferences will undoubtedly change.

stoph said...

Alpha - yes chewing bones is intense, but I have yet to see someone here with disgusting teeth. Everyone has such a gorgeous smile.

Sarah - When I get back we will get some coffee and have one crazy conversation.

Katrina - Sadly there are no lichies here, but currently it is pineapple season and mango season is just around the corner! I have found my own culinary nemesis. His name (or her name?) is fufu. It is mashed and cooked cassava usually eaten with some fishy sauce. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't let the cassava ferment.

SuzannaWright said...

Fruit tastes better because it actually grows there and doesn't have to travel in refridgerated compartments to get to Cost-Co.

Nice pictures! Like the blog.