Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Liberian Appetite

Have you ever had a massive plate of delicious food in front of you, but somehow your just not hungry? Nothing on the plate grabs you. The smell invites no deep desires from within and the taste fails to inspire. You nibble around the edges, pick out the most interesting looking bits of food, and push the rest around with your fork. You make patterns in the mashed potatoes with your fork and to be honest, this whole eating thing bores you.

For the last few years, that has been how I’ve felt when I approached the Bible. I knew it was delicious and wholesome and good for me, etc…but it never really gripped me. I’d idle from book to book, reading a chapter of Matthew, then picking at a psalm lazily, while swishing around a slurp of Leviticus with complete disinterest. I found it all kind of dull. It didn’t grab me.
Since I’ve been here my spiritual metabolism has taken a quantam shift. I quite simply can’t get enough of the Bible. I’m serious. Lately I’ve been approaching it like I approach one of my Mom’s steaks. I’ve been taking big bites of it, and I usually forget to chew. Everything seems to leap out somehow. There always seems to be a verse that speaks directly to me, a verse that must have been written with just this moment in my life in mind. The miraculous thing about the Bible is that it has something to say about every part of your life! The repercussions of believing that are just starting to hit me.

I’ve actually managed to misplace my Bible somewhere. It’s driving me crazy. I’m starving! (Don’t worry, its only spiritual. I get fed well.) I stumble around the house searching for it like a lost man stumbling around the desert looking for water.

I’d like to invite you on this journey of mine. Next time you grab your Bible, come to it with a spirit of expectancy. Take faith in the fact that there is something in there for you, in the situation your in, that speaks directly to how you feel, and then just you would with your favorite meal, dig in!

7 comments:

Alpha Davies said...

Stoph thats really encouraging, i struggle with that exact problem all the time. i will try out your suggestion!

Zoƫ Whitley said...

dude, come to Bible School! You'd love it :)

sheena wilson said...

Christoph,
What a treat to read your entries. The faces of those children communicate love and joy, for being around you.
peace to you and your community!
sheena

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest most encouraging thing I think I've ever read.
Also my english teacher would be very impressed with your use of extended metaphor.

Katrina Janzen said...

um...that entry is the greatest thing i could've read today. love it loooove it lovvvvee it LOVE IT! you sound like me. that very same thing happened to me this summer. welcome to the beginning of the real thing!

Katrina Janzen said...

oh yeah, where's you reading? if you're in the OT, just wait till you hit the New. Ephesians??? YOW. Hebrews?????? DANG. And for a little side reading, pick up some Kirkegaard. You'd love the man.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the wisdom you have introduced to my life. You're like my salad dressing! Miss you lots... Holly