Thursday, May 21, 2009

Departures

It's that time in life again. The bittersweet goodbye. The emotion-filled farewell. The dramatic departure. I've been spending the last few days saying goodbye to the people and the geography. Final handshakes and hugs, final swims and surfs. I'm not ready to leave, but I am ready to go home. That's a confusing way of putting it, but it makes sense to me.

I'm sitting in the waiting room of Robertsfield Intl Airport after a car ride full of prayer. On my way to the waiting room I was padded down not once but twice and at least seven different officials flipped through my passport, trying to look important. The waiting room features unbareble metal chairs (no cushions) and a bunch of TVs showing CNN. It keeps on cutting in and out and the only time it was clear was for a news report about a dramatic plane crash.

In its defence, the waiting room is air-conditioned. I'm actually wearing a hoodie right now which is a unique and very welcome experience. This airport does have one other luxury. Free wireless! Out comes that MacBook, on goes my favorite Icelandic band, and presto! you get a blog post.

Next update will probably come from the handsome hills and pearly peaks of Switzerland, the land of milk and more milk. I get to mooch off relatives for two weeks before finally making it home.

4 comments:

Miriam said...

I like that phrase: "Not ready to leave, but ready to come home." I can relate. Enjoy the land flowing with milk and chocolate!

Kifty said...

I can agree completely--I know exactly how that phrase feels too. I'm looking forward to your return!

Alpha Davies said...

yes....free wireless...the macbook....so good.....
can't wait to see you Stoph!

philary said...

We are also excited to see you!
Enjoy your time in switz! Eat some chocolate for us!