Saturday, May 9, 2009

Rainstorm

I spent most of today sitting inside and feeling sorry for myself. I had managed to develop a nasty head cold; the type where you go through a box of Kleenex in an hour and your head feels like a brick. I almost made it through the whole day being holed up indoors, but then when I was just fixing myself something to eat for dinner it started to rain and I forced myself to go outside and enjoy it.

I sat on that porch and watched the floodgates of heaven open up. The sun had just set and everything was still aglow with a crimson hue. As I watched the trees bend over from the wind and heard the thunder boom (like I have never heard before) I realized that my life is in the hands of someone so much greater then my little problems like a nasty head cold. How could any witness of such a great display of stunning raw power be miserable about trivial things?

I watched as a little girl walked by. You could tell she was 100% alive in that rain, alive in the way that only a thunderous storm can make you. She danced in that rain and she jumped in the puddles and she leapt with the thunder. As I watched I realized, on the eve of my birthday, that I don't ever want to grow up. I want to stumble through life wide-eyed and with my jaw hanging open. I want to live in a world where there is no such thing as commonplace, because I could recognize the miracle in even the smallest of events. I want to see every rainstorm not as a nuiscance, but as an adventure.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Amen, brother. If you'd like to learn about the "childlike" in literature, take an English class with Monika Hilder. She's huge on that topic.

Alpha Davies said...

i love rain.

Katrina Janzen said...

Happy Birthday.

That was beautiful.