Saturday, May 23, 2009

Savoring

My welcome back into modern Western society was most memorable, thanks wholly to the hospitality and efforts of the Villies. The Villies are a remarkable family that hosted me for a night during my layover in Brussels and planned for me the ideally paced day full of savoring good things in life.

After big hugs at the train station, a charming drive through the cobblestone streets of Brussels led to a light lunch in the beautiful Villie abode. They are still in the process of making their beautiful home even more beautiful so the hot shower was out of commission. They had, however, arranged with a neighbor who was out of town so that I would not go without. It felt good. Really good.I had forgot how enjoyable a nice fresh breeze of non-muggy air is and Brussels did not disappoint. A walk to the park to kick around a soccer ball hit the spot nicely.

Where the Villie’s hospitality and French nationality really shine is at dinnertime. First there was a cold beer with an appetizer of shrimp with herb cream cheese on crackers, olives, and potato chips. The main course was a zucchini and eggplant gratin... ...with ricotta, baby spinach, and parmesan linguine. This was followed by a generous slice of goat’s cheese and homemade bread with a glass of red wine. Dessert was strawberry sauce and merangue sprinkled with almond slivers and chased down with a shot of homemade prune schnapps. An evening stroll through an old neighbourhood of Brussels capped off the perfect day. We even found a house that was built in the 1500’s!

An early breakfast, more hearty hugs, and a train ride to the airport commenced the next morning. Brussels airport is the very model of European efficiency. Security was a breeze except they confiscated my bottle of deodorant spray since it was 50ml over the limit. The fact that it was half empty didn’t seem to matter. I bought a ridiculously priced Starbucks latte, but I figured I could afford myself the luxury because it had been a while. After some delays the Swiss Air flight got underway and we were all served a delicious chocolate croissant. I think I am going to enjoy these next two weeks.

My most wonderful aunt Käthi met me at the Zurich airport. A scenic train ride later brought us to her home where I am sitting now, overlooking the farmland, trains whizzing by, and the Alps looming on the horizon.

I’m sure every person that lives away from home for a while talks about this, but I’m really starting to learn about all the things I’ve taken for granted. Hot showers are now a euphoric experience. Soft grass under bare feet is beautiful and you have no idea how thrilled I get to just feel a cool and crisp breeze. Being re-united with familiar smells is also very exciting. Please join me in savoring simple things this week.

4 comments:

Miriam said...

The Villies must have been so excited to see you... that dinner looks like it was fit for a king! Are you saying you haven't had a hot shower since last fall? Hmmm, I'm going to appreciate my hot showers even more now...

William said...

whenareyoucominghome? whenareyoucominghome? whenareyoucominghome?

Alpha Davies said...

i love Brussels! sounds like you had fun too. and ya, WHENAREYOUCOMINGHOME?

Anonymous said...

When will you write your next blog update? See you in a week.