Thursday, November 13, 2008

Flight Log: Part 2

11:51 (Brussels time) – One hour till my flight. Sitting near the gate, waiting. Popped open my laptop and opened my iTunes. Some random guy somewhere in the vicinity seems to have left his music sharing settings open, so I’m listening to his music library. He has good taste.
Security was a breezy, breezy, breeze. Brussels was gorgeous and full of lovely people, but I’m excited to finally get to Liberia.
It’s a two hour flight to Casablanca, and then 7 hours kicking around in the airport. The super sweet lady that gave me a ride had been there and assured me that it was pleasant, so that’s good. Then just after 10pm I grab a flight to Monrovia, arriving at 2:40 IN THE MORNING!!! Pretty stoked about that. Wow, this guy is a Rammstein fan. He has like every album! Hardcore! Actually, there’s a bit to much death metal for my taste. Also, what kind of band name is “Type O Negative”?
Back to my own music. Ahh, the soothing sounds of my favorite Icelandic bag.
(P.S. – This may come across as creepy, but watching people in airports is really fascinating. There is every kind of person imaginable and they are all at different stages in life. Like for instance there is this old couple a few tables over that are sharing a newspaper and they can’t stop smiling at each other. And this little boy who keeps running up and down the hallways.

14:32 (Casablanca Time) Somewhere 37000feet over Southern France – Royal Air Maroc ends up being a pleasant surprise. A hot meal on a three hour flight and really good service.
Random thoughts: People sleeping on airplanes look really funny. Also, there is very few sounds in this world that are as intense as the sound of a toilet flushing. It freaks me out every time. Also, why does the bathroom have an ashtray right next to the no smoking sign???
The weather just cleared up for a majestic view of the snow-capped Pyrenees Mountains. Absolutely breathtaking. Also, Coca-Cola written in Arabic is really cool.

15:20 – (Casablanca Time) We’re flying just next to another airplane’s jet stream. It looks really cool. It’s just this strip of cloud that goes on and on beside us.

15:20 – (Casablanca) Another jet stream. It’s like an aeronautical traffic jam!!!

15:21 – (Casablanca) I CAN SEE THE MEDITERRANEAN!!! If I wasn’t stuck in an airplane seat I’d to a dance of celebration. I’m pretty sure that’s the Straight of Gibraltar to the right.

15:33 – Wow the straight of Gibraltar is really, really narrow. I can see the Atlantic. It’s big. Also, I CAN SEE AFRICA!!!! I’m keeping a very calm composure here in the airplane, but I’m currently freaking out inside. So stoked!

15:37 – Tangiers looks really cool from the air. Anyone want to travel around in Spain and Morrocco at some point in our lives?

15:38 – Turbulence!!!

15:41 – Wow, the Atlantic is big. I mean really big. Like huge. Bigger then you can imagine. Massive.

15:45 – The Arabic alphabet is beautiful. It just had to be said.

15:58 – We’re going down! Only 15 mintues till landing in good ol’ Casa. (Casa and I are on short name basis.)

17:25 – I’m just experiencing my first African sunset, sitting here in the Mohammed V Airport, in Casablanca. Mohammed V is the squeaky-cleanest airport you’ve ever seen. This airport features a dazzling palette of skin colors. Every single shade of brown can be found here in this airport, in people’s skin. Less then 5 hours to go.

18:18 – This airport is weird. Besides being the cleanest place in the world, it is jam-packed with luxury stores. This is Africa, but the hallways are filled with Dolce & Gabana, Chanel, and Lacoste.

18:34 – Moroccans
have little, make that no, regard for no smoking signs.

18:38 – I always think that people with little wireless cell phone receivers are insane at first.

18:46 – Pretty sure I just saw one janitor give the other janitor a love tap. The third janitor is wearing Crocs. Also, I’ve been in this airport waaaaayyyyy to long.

18:50 - Wow, one janitor just full on sacked the other janitor. Stuff happens here at the later hours.


I’m sitting in my room in the Waines’ house across from my mosquito-netted bed. The room is painted in four different shades of blue. Liberia is beautiful. It’s like living in a sauna. I love it! Just a quick minute walk from the house is the endless ocean with breaks rolling in. The birds here are really loud and insistent especially the neighbours roosters at 4am in the morning.