Thursday, November 27, 2008

The World's Coolest House

Hey, hey, hey from (slightly-less-muggy-then-the-rest-of-the-country) Ganta. We got here yesterday, just in time to be fashionably late for the staff meeting. On the way we stopped by the Equip office in Gbangra (pronounced Bang-a, but with a real popping sound on the "B"). The office is surrounded by the world's coolest fence.

Anyway, staff meeting was good. It was a bunch of people talking about all sorts of good stuff that is happening. Man, people here are hard to understand. If you thought I talked fast, then you have no idea. Not only do they talk crazy fast, but they drop the ends off of words and put o's everywhere. So "hey" becomes "heyo", me becomes "me" becomes "meo", etc... Also, they drop articles (a, an, the) everywhere! I helped out a bit with payroll which was a chaotic but kind of fun experience. Can you imagine doing the bookkeeping and salary for an organization that has to run entirely on cash?

You know what's surreal? That fact that I can have a conversation for free over the internet across the Atlantic, and in conversation mention that I'm in Ganta, and then have said friend look up Ganta on GoogleMaps, and see where I am. That, folks, blows my mind. Crazy stuff.

Here's a rubber plantation. Libeira is one of the world's largest producers of natural rubber. If you've ever had Firestone tires on you car, that rubber probably came from Liberia. There are plantations everywhere, but this is probably the neatest one I've seen so far.

This is the world's coolest house. I want to buy it and fix it up. It was built years ago by settlers from somewhere in Lousiana where they build everything on stilts. So they came to Liberia, picked a completely stable firm plot of land, and propped up their house on legs. Thus the world's coolest house.

1 comment:

Alpha Davies said...

haha and they wouldn't even give me directions! google maps lost soooo many brownie points right there.
that IS a cool house! i've always wanted one on stilts, they have a certain mysterious quality about them somehow....:)
peace!